moderated Re: Hide Email Addresses In Archives fails to mask email addresses in Display Names #bug

Ok, now I get it. These people are using their email address for the name portion of their email address. Pretty we’d. I guess I can now see how that qualifies (sort of) as an example of “posting” an email address as text. It seems to apply to any group in which people (for unknown reasons) do this, not just groups where non members can post. I’m on either way since this would not seeem to occur commonly in most groups.

On Feb 2, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Thomas Gruber <computerhusky@...> wrote:

Hi J,
I did a little test - configured an email account and put the email address also into the „name“ field (in Apple mail on iPad actually). Then I sent a message to Groups.io to a group that accepts messages from non members.
Then the message appeared in Groups.io with the name part showing the email address, as I had set up the account. The part inside the < > (the proper email address) only showed the part before the @ sign)
So anyone configuring their account with the email address used both as the name and as the address would show their email address in the online version of Groups.io.
My opinion is that that‘s their own fault - the „name“ part of an email configuration should have the real name, or a nickname if you don‘t want to show your name to the public. But if you give away your email address by putting it into the name field then a system like groups.io can‘t correct that ( and maybe shouldn‘t).
Thomas

Am 02.02.2020 um 21:58 schrieb J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>:

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

In my use case the Display Name shown is the part of the From field that came before the < which delimits the email address proper.
Shal, I think that's correct and that my statement that groups.io harvests and uses the email address as the display name is wrong. I think it harvests, as you reference here, the name that comes before the actual email address. However, if that's the case, then I don't understand why the actual email addresses are showing as the display names for your non-member posters. So I will take a (possibly temporary;) break from this thread until I understand the issue.