moderated Re: Deleting attachments when out of space #update

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 05:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Are you envisioning a group that is continually running up against its storage limit not because of attachments, but because of files/photos? And so the enforcer process would end up deleting all attachments in the group each time it runs?
Yes, that's the kind of scenario that I was thinking about.

And given that, there'd be a timing issue with digests going out?
Perhaps. I'm mildly concerned that the enforcer [insert "hasta la vista, baby" voice here] -- if run before the daily digest compiler/sender -- then some attachments may never make it to the digests containing their corresponding messages. I hope that made sense.

Assuming I understand the request, I guess that's a possibility, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. I currently force digests every night (with the caveat that if someone had recently gotten a digest, a new one doesn't go out). But otherwise digests can go out at any time, depending on messages sent to a group.
This should not be a problem for "intermediate" digests because the nightly enforcer [ditto] presumably hasn't run yet.

Of course, this all assumes that the attachment purge and digest compilation activities share some sort of time-space with respect to system maintenance...see below...

And I've been contemplating changing the forcing of digests so that it would work more like summaries do, so that a digest would be forced at 6am based on a user's timezone, instead of everyone getting forced at 10:30pm pacific time.
Yep...it would be nice for everyone to get up in the morning and find their daily digest available at that time, regardless of their time zone. That said, they might not be so happy if it meant that some attachments that were supposed to come over with that digest didn't make it.

I have no inclination to micromanage on this end...just please give some thought to this, lest it become the source of a bug report somewhere down the line.

Thanks,
Bruce