moderated Re: Deleting attachments when out of space #update

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

If I may, please ensure that the nightly attachment trim is the last function performed in whatever nightly maintenance is scheduled by groups.io. It would be unfortunate if an unexpected bolus of incoming attachments on a given day resulted in some of them being purged before they went out in the daily digest.

First, as a word nerd, I need to say that I really appreciate the use of the word bolus.

I haven't yet set up the time for when the enforcer process will run, but I'm not sure I understand your request. Are you envisioning a group that is continually running up against its storage limit not because of attachments, but because of files/photos? And so the enforcer process would end up deleting all attachments in the group each time it runs? And given that, there'd be a timing issue with digests going out?

Assuming I understand the request, I guess that's a possibility, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. I currently force digests every night (with the caveat that if someone had recently gotten a digest, a new one doesn't go out). But otherwise digests can go out at any time, depending on messages sent to a group. And I've been contemplating changing the forcing of digests so that it would work more like summaries do, so that a digest would be forced at 6am based on a user's timezone, instead of everyone getting forced at 10:30pm pacific time.