moderated Process to propose new features #meta

Hi All,

Ken in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23853 mentioned something I've been thinking about. Right now, proposing a #suggestion is a free-for-all. Duplicate suggestions appear often. Previously discarded suggestions come back up, etc etc. It would help me if we could establish some kind of process around it, a way to help people vet their ideas before they are officially proposed. It would not be my goal to put up roadblocks or otherwise intimidate newbies from sharing their ideas; the opposite actually. I want to increase the quality of suggestions.

It seems it would be good for there to be a way to 'discuss' a proposed suggestion before it actually becomes a suggestion. Which means that the suggestion process involves two steps, the #proposal and the #suggestion. I can see two ways of doing the #proposal:

  • Create a new, unmoderated subgroup to discuss proposals.
  • Add a new feature to hashtags that would work as follows:
    • The topic is set so that no one follows it.
    • Replying to the message automatically sets you to follow the topic.
    • You would be able to manually follow the topic as well if you wish.

In either case, once a consensus is reached (and only then), submit a #suggestion, referencing the proposal topic. If there's no interest in the #proposal, it doesn't become a #suggestion.

Ideally, I would not have to moderate (or spend much time involved with) the #proposal process. I think we all want me focused on actually getting stuff implemented. :-)

Thoughts?

Thanks, Mark