locked Re: Favicon?

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:36 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
A favicon is a 16x16 pixel icon, sometimes packed with a 32x32 pixel icon (and rarely a 48x48 pixel or larger icon) into a file customarily named favicon.ico. Browsers display this icon on tabs open to their website. See the date-on-shield on a Google Calendar tab, or the rainbow-colored suitcase on eBay's tab.

There are dozens of online free favicon generators that pack the multiple images into an appropriate file, easily enough for a novice to use.

Has any thought been given to accommodating user-provided favicons?
--
Larry Marks
Larry,

I am curious as to how this would be used.

As far as I can tell, GIO pages already have a favicon. For example, I bookmarked the page with your post. Here is how it shows up as in my bookmark manager in Chrome.

If you don't like that icon, you can change it. For example, there is an extension for the Chrome bookmark manager to change the icon. I've also used this feature in other browsers.

https://beebom.com/how-change-bookmark-icons-chrome/

--
Gerald