locked Re: Hashtags for single messages (not topics) #suggestion

Samuel Murrayy

On 16/01/2020 05:48, Gretchin Lair wrote:

I'd love to see hashtags available for single messages within topics, not just whole topics. For instance, #bestof, #messageoftheweek, #archive, or the first message in a topic where the replies don’t matter. Provide a link to see the whole thread from that message.
Some here have said that this would be confusing because it would mean that hashtags would then be used in two different ways, but I don't think it would necessarily be confusing.

If I understand correctly, what you're basically asking for is that there should be special "search" links at the bottom of an e-mail in which a subject line hashtag was detected, so that users don't have to perform these searches manually.

I know, I know, on GIO, hashtags are used for **topic management**, but I don't see why they can't be also used for filtering or searching (i.e. "following").

So, what I would suggest, is this:

When a message is received by GIO, it checks that the message's subject line to see if there is anything resembling hashtags, and if so, creates links in the footer of the message.

See screenshot, assuming the message in question is in a topic where #suggestion, #request and #hashtag are topic hashtags but where that particular message also contain #goodidea and #fantastic. The "search" links link to a message search, e.g.

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/search?q=%23goodidea

(At this time, GIO can't specify searching within subject lines only, but I imagine it's coming, and when it happens, this search would obviously search only the subject lines.)

Samuel