moderated Re: Email Privacy

Larry Finch

I have one list owner (on listserv, not groups.io) who hosts a list on travel in China. As much of what is posted can be construed as political by authorities in China he  assures complete anonymity. He does that by setting the list to moderated. So every message goes to him only. Instead of releasing it he copies the content into a new post, removing all personally identifiable information, and posts it under his moderator email address. He’s been doing this for 20 years.

Larry

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM Nis Jørgensen <nis@...> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:43 PM, Larry Finch wrote:

> In groups that I host we recommend that users create “throwaway” gmail or
> yahoo addresses that don’t identify them and are used only for posting to
> the group.

As Patti wrote: "Many of these users are not sophisticated enough to set up an alternate email or even realize they could be exposed. " The point is, I would like to extend the anonymity to the ones who don't think they need it, and to the ones who may think they need it, but don't know how. Or the ones who choose not to join, because of the lack of anonymity. Some may even see see the lack of built-in anonymity as a problem, not just for themselves. As I mentioned, the group has the word "anonymous" in its name.

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"