moderated Re: Message summary a mess - but not due to IO

I just tested this using a message with several instances of the word "the" and searching on "the." Apparently, search will find and return the first instance of the term, within its context, but only continue with further instances if they occur contiguously to the first one and within the allowable space (which seems to be a couple of lines). You are right that it does not jump around and return much later occurrences if the space in between does not fit (however, it will return results towards the bottom of the message, not just at the top, if the first instance of the term occurs towards the message bottom). So I don't know what was happening in your case.