moderated Re: Why not allow Edit w/o resending

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 03:14 PM, Duane wrote:
They're sorted by the original posting time... That has bugged me sometimes
I wanted to expand on why I think it's so important to maintain the posted-date, rather than the edited-date, sort order of messages in the message list. I especially want to contrast this with the display of updated date of files, which I myself recently requested, and which (I think correctly) implemented. Messages, unlike files, are part of a flow of conversation. If I edit a message a week or a month after it was posted to, say, fix a spelling error, it should emphatically NOT move up a week out of its place in the conversation. That (IMHO) would be crazy and could very possibly make conversations very hard to follow. Not everyone quotes snippets of the message they're responding to in order to make it clear; many people, including those posting via email, simply post their answer. Imagine what would happen if their reply jumped a month, or a year, out of place because of a small edit.

Updates to files, on the other hand, are a different beast. They are not part of chronological conversations, as I've already said, and updates to files would, or might, normally consist of more major changes in content than edits to messages.