moderated Re: Why not allow Edit w/o resending

Samuel Murrayy

On 09/01/2020 20:54, RickGlaz-WEB wrote:

It sounds like your members edit to move the thread forward or
some reason I do not understand...
Speaking for myself, on other online forums, if editing is allowed, I make good use of it to continuously refine my post. I want my post to make a good impression to readers who read it, and in many web-based forums, most readers don't read the post within seconds after it is created. I sometimes add paragraphs to clarify things, or I delete paragraphs that I feel detract from the central message that I was aiming for. So, yes, my posts may change significantly after people responded to my post, but that's their own fault for not quoting.

I do not regard making edits to a post, even significant edits, as malicious. Sure, there will always be people who change their post to say the exact opposite, after lots of folks "liked" their post or posted "I agree", but forum designers should have thought about that before they allowed editing.

A nice touch is if anyone can see a history of edits. Or, people can write a comment about why they edited the post, and if a moderator feels that their reason isn't valid or is misleading, they can take action against that user, if they care enough.

The fact is that users who are used to editing on other platforms may edit on Groups.io without realising that it has unintended, devastating consequences for mail users.

An alternative idea to re-posting the entire edited message would be that Groups.io post a short notice, "So-and-so edited this message, click this link to see the latest version of this message", ONCE ONLY (even if the user edits his message several times) to alert other users that the message that they see in their mail programs is not the one that the poster intended them to respond to.

Samuel