moderated Re: Enhancing the usefulness of the member download #suggestion

Rick N

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:04 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
The member download feature could be enhanced by a few simple changes:

  1. If a custom sort order is displayed by clicking on a column header, then the members are downloaded in that same order.
  2. If a search term returns a limited number of members, then only those members will be downloaded.
I don't understand the need for either of these.  Once you've downloaded the csv file, you can do what you want with it - sort, edit, etc. That's the whole reason for having the member download (I think.)

Duane

While they don't add abilities that simply don't exist, they extend what you can do only the web site without additional tools or effort with the data.  If I'm interested in who joined the group less than six months ago, it would be helpful that I didn't have to stop to sort or filter the data after I've downloaded it before I have the results I was seeking in the first place.  Less of an issue with under 500 members. More of an issue when you have more than 5,000 members.

Yahoo didn't place a 1,000 member limit to membership list downloads because they wanted to make it more user-friendly. It was more a compromise between eliminating it entirely and weathering the howls of outrage from group owners.

Rick