moderated Re: Non-permitted groups

txercoupemuseum.org

I mentioned very recently that one of my reasons to be in this group is to get a better sense of the “defining culture” within
Groups.io.  Mark has most clearly and eloquently established the “rules of participation” of HIS organization.

Like any “parent”, it is for him and him alone to set limits within “his house” that define “his values”.  Since we are all known by the company we keep I see nothing whatsoever unreasonable here.

In his place, only strong convictions keep a steady course and avoid the shoals of timidity or inaction.  One need only recall their own experiences as a child to understand that life can be very stressful in the moral vacuum that quickly arises when no responsible person establishes and enforces civility.

The individuals that founded this country were well aware of the forms of oppression that adversely affect minorities under pure "majority rule".   They incorporated numerous checks and balances to mitigate this.

From what I have observed of his actions and inactions over recent months Mark consistently strives to “do the right thing”.
I am most favorably impressed to date with the moral balance Mark has established and maintains within Groups.io.

WRB

—

On Dec 28, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 7:26 AM Stephen Cowley via Groups.Io <stephen.cowley=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
The list of groups that are not permitted under the "Help" section is as follows on 28 Dec 2019:
    4. Groups dedicated to the promotion of extreme, hateful, or exclusionary ideas, including but not limited to, the alt-right.
    5. Groups dedicated to the promotion of conspiracy theories, including, but not limited to: Gamergate, Pizzagate, and Qanon.
I object to the limits 4 and 5 place on political discourse. The central terms are undefined, subjective and even self-contradictory.

If you object, you should take your groups elsewhere. There are plenty of places on the Internet to host groups; Facebook is a popular place to host these types of groups.

I am happy to consider better definitions, should you have them. But I will not consider removing these restrictions.

I have moderated this topic and will delete any non-constructive responses.

Mark
_._,_._,_