moderated Re: New Yahoo Group transfer requests disabled

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 1:34 PM Peter Harrison <peterrh@...> wrote:

I've managed to use the Yahoo API to download the files, photos and member list for two groups that I was aiming to transfer. I'm currently downloading the messages for one group. I'm using a modified version of the IgnoredAmbience Yahoo Group Archiver - my modifications make it more reliable! I hope that, by the end of the week, I'll have all the messages in both raw and HTML format as JSON files along with the message metadata (also JSON). The members list is also in JSON, as is the metadata for the files and images.

If I manage to get everything will it be possible to transfer it to Groups.io? Or do I need to get the messages into mbox format? Happy to pay for premium membership for the two groups concerned.

The messages would have to be in mbox format (specifically mboxrd as referenced by the wikipedia entry). But I'd need to see what the messages look like before saying whether they could be imported, because I'd need to see if the full headers were downloaded, and if the character encoding was done correctly. Preferably, Yahoo gets its act together and fixes their message issue before December 14 so that we can do normal group exports.