locked Re: about messages from non-members

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm constantly concerned about making the system as easy to use as possible, and I do worry whenever adding a new feature that it adds to the complexity of the system. I depend on people like you (non-nerds :) ) for feedback and suggestions, because I, as a nerd, sometimes don't realize when something is too complicated or techy.

As I'm sure you know, one of the 'pain points' of email groups is getting people subscribed to them. That's why I'm interested in figuring out this 'guest subscription' idea, because it could help people with subscription issues. Rest assured that any feature added will not compromise the owner's complete control of their group, including who can post and who can subscribe.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Mark, since all groups aren’t used as discussion groups, so to speak, I would like for you to keep something in mind.  I moderate a group that is a buying and selling group.

1) All messages submitted as ads and they are pended for approve my the moderator.  Once that message is approved and posts on the group, from then on the discussions is between the seller and potential buyer personally.  So the potential buyer will do a reply in the group to the seller to discuss things..  Same thing if they are sending the message through their email program.  At no time, does that conversation appear on the group again.

2) All members are pended for approval until that member provides specific information to the group name_owner@.....  I then approve or deny that request.   No members can join by sending an email request where they would automatically be approved as a member.

3) All photos are posted by sellers of items they had submitted an ad for.  They have to provide required information on each photo that is done by posting the photo, click Edit and then adding the information on the two available lines below the photo.

Based on what I’ve described, will groups.io allow all of this to happen without jumping through hoops to perform?

One more thing, like I’ve said I have read all of the messages and some things I understand and others sound way to complicated and technical.  Not that they aren’t good ideas, but just too complicated and technical for those of us that aren’t super techs like Shal.  I believe that’s part of the Neo problem now.  Instead of using the philosophy of ‘keep it simple stupid’, they are providing all of these bells and whistles that a lot of the groups don’t need or want and only half work.   So many of the members, moderators and owners of the various sewing/embroidery groups on Yahoo Groups are not computer literate or very little, so hopefully you are aware of this and keep those people in mind.  Same thing with those that are visually impaired.  That was a big issue when Neo was dropped on us.  Those people could no longer navigate the groups  because no one thought about that issue when they were doing their great job of developing this new Neo.  (This was said with tongue in cheek. LOL)

There is such a diverse group of people on Yahoo Groups that use the groups for different things, I’m afraid that if they aren’t providing some type of input in this Beta (maybe because they don’t even know about this), that their needs aren’t going to be met.

Sorry this was so long.

Thanks for all the work you have already done on this new venture.

Judy Faulkner

SW Florida - USA