moderated Re: Blank names when users join or get imported translates into postings getting rejected from mail

Michael,
I’m not interested in promoting my own “intentions.” Features always have some intended use when they are implemented. That’s the reason they are implemented. Often people may find other, “off label” usages for them (so to speak). And that’s fine. I am not “speaking against” anyone or even anyone’s extra usages for this or any other feature. My interest is always in the betterment of the product as a whole.
Take care.

On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Michael Pavan <@mjp> wrote:

On Oct 24, 2019, at 12:06 PM, J_Catlady <@J_Catlady> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
the intention(s) of anyone else
No intentions at all here, simply pointing out how the feature currently works.
The Display Name does currently work as an identifier of who the email belongs to, a sorting reference for the Members list, as well as of who sent a message.
Try it and see.

It does take the name from any email sent if there is one,
Yes, this is the way it currently is automatically populated,
and yes, as you pointed out you do, Display Names can be done manually.
which is generally sufficient for its *intended* purpose (i.e., displaying with the member's sent messages).
I won't quibble with you that for you it serves your intended purpose.
I do know from my experience and what others have stated that it also serves the purpose of identifying who the email belongs to and as a sorting reference for the Members list - try it.

Of course if people have other uses for it that necessitates a change in the feature, why would anyone object. I certainly have no issue.
Than why speak against them???

Agreed