moderated Re: Blank names when users join or get imported translates into postings getting rejected from mail

It is actually an issue for me in a different way, because our group requires a certain form for the Display Name. So we end up setting everyone’s Display Name by hand anyway.

I’m talking in general. The purpose of the Display Name is that it be displayed with the member’s messages. If there are no messages by the member, then by definition, it need not be displayed and is unnecessary assuming that intended purpose. If you’re using it for a different purpose, like looking through your Members list, that’s another issue.

On Oct 24, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Tanya's Feline CKD <@felineckd> wrote:

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem for others. I hate seeing a massive list of blank names in my membership lists, and more to the point, it's kind of hard for my Condolence Mods to do a condolence post when they don't have a name to whom they can offer condolences. There is plenty groups.io could do, namely require anybody signing up to provide a display name, it's not that much of a requirement, but one I've been asking for unsuccessfully for ages.