From: Mark Fletcher [mailto:markf@corp.groups.io]
To: main@beta.groups.io
Sent: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 13:50:38 -0700
Subject: Re: [beta] 2 questions about the Yahoo Group transfer

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:29 PM Harm Selling <h.selling@...> wrote:

1. Last Friday (5 days ago) I requested a transfer for my Yahoo group.Last Saturday (4 days ago) I've given the go-ahead.
How long is the actual waiting time for finishing the transfer?

I've added a status line to the transfer page. When you go to edit your transfer, if it's been submitted for transfer, you'll now see one of these 4 status lines:

Your group is awaiting export from Yahoo. [Step 1 of 4]
Your group is being exported from Yahoo right now. [Step 2 of 4]
Your group is awaiting import into Groups.io. There are about N groups ahead of it in the queue. [Step 3 of 4]
Your group is being imported into Groups.io right now. [Step 4 of 4]

Where N in Step 3 is an estimate as to where you are in the queue. Your group is about 70th in the queue right now.

Step 4 is the biggest bottleneck, as I can only import so many groups at a time without overloading the system. I can't give an estimate as to how long each group takes to be imported, because each group is different (how many photos, how many messages, etc). Also it's dependent on how many groups have requested expedited processing at the time.

2. The member list of my group has a lot of members with the status "No mail". I'm afraid most of these members are not active anymore. Do these members receive a welcome message by joining Group.io? And if that message bounces, are these bouncing accounts automaticly removed or do they automaticly get the status "bouncing"?
If not…. What's the best way to check and clean up these "no mail" accounts? My group contains no-mail accounts from the year 2000, the year of introducing the group, 19 years ago.

If you didn't uncheck the 'Send a message to your members when the transfer is complete' they will be sent a welcome message (ditto if you have a group welcome message). That will be tracked for bouncing. Whether that actually triggers someone being removed depends on the type of bounce back received.