moderated Re: Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole group

Dave Sergeant

And also being on that group I have seen the offending message that
should have just been sent to owners. Some owner messages should never
be accidentally sent to the whole list.

As for gmail ignoring special characters like '.' I had an interesting
one involving this. A member has been subscribed for some time as
fxxxxn.wxxt@gmail.com and for some reason changed his email program to
use fxxxxnwxxt@gmail.com and wondered why he couldn't post to the list
with that address but could still receive OK. Gmail was ignoring the
'.' but groups.io was not.

Like Shal I am also a dinosaur who only uses real email on a real email
client. I absolutely hate web mail.

Dave

On 26 Sep 2019 at 1:10, Peter Martinez via Groups.Io wrote:

The trouble is when it goes wrong, the effect can be somewhat
devastating. When it happened on one of the lists I am on some very
personal information about an individual that should not have been
sent to the list was disclosed to the whole list....

Dave
Thanks for that Dave! For the benefit of the others reading this, I
believe Dave is referring to a group in which both Dave and I (and
Chris) are members, and the individual in question was ME!

http://davesergeant.com