From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shal Farley
Sent: 26 September 2019 02:38
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole
group

Mark,

I'm wary (used it right this time Shal!) of changing this, ...
Indeed. ;-)

I too do not favor changing it.

Or even aliasing it. I thought of that but realized it wouldn't solve the problem -
the people who need to use the alias wouldn't know about it. That way lies only
more confusion.

> If I had to do it over, I'd probably special case this to handle it, > but it seems
to only confuse people a few times a year.

I'm not sure what you're thinking, but I thought perhaps you could notice when
receiving a message:

IF (message delivered to Groups.io by btinternet.com) AND
(Received chain includes synchronoss.net) THEN
Do something different.

The question is what to do. I initially thought you could look to the header To
and/or Cc fields to determine if there was a command and what it was, but I
think some of the messages I looked at had neither.
Probably cases of Bcc, but I'm not sure about that.

So the only two actions I can think of would be to either force the message to
Pending, and let the mods deal with it, or reject the message, with a message
text saying that btinternet users must post via the web interface, not via SMTP
client applications.

But either of those are pretty onerous for the 99.9% use case of a simple
message posting. So maybe accept the message for posting if there is a To or
CC that includes the group posting address without command.

Shal