moderated Re: delete old messages

Chris Jones

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 03:26 AM, Ken Schweizer included this link:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49808208
Now (like Mark) IANAL, and the material in the link is a News Bulletin not "Qualified Legal Opinion", but taken at face value the right to be forgotten relates to data about a person, not things they have posted on Groups.io or other social media. As such they would have no right to assume or expect that such material can or will be deleted on request, and of course while material they have originated might be deleted, where that material is quoted by others those quotations and their attribution will remain firmly in place.

As recently mentioned on the GMF subscribers can delete their own posts unhindered, so I would suggest that anyone wishing to have their posts deleted should be encouraged to set about doing it themselves. As far as I can see there is no reason for believing that a group owner or moderator must trawl through message archives removing posts submitted by any named individual just because they ask for it to be done.

I see no reason for an owner or moderator to make a rod for their own back.

Chris