moderated Re: Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole group

Dave Wade

Chris,

I don’t find that odd at all. I also suspect that because of the way the “btinternet.com” address space is split that the result when sending from webmail may vary depending on which provider is servicing the mail.

I am pretty sure some users are still on the Yahoo server. There are also “btopenworld.com” and perhaps still some “talk21.net” addresses.

I would also say, from experience that several web-mail based e-mail clients don’t understand that rules for the  left had side of the “@” so the user portion are different to the RHS or domain portion.

GMAIL allows me to ad “+” and an arbitrary string to my e-mail address, which is useful for tracking address leakage, but often its rejected as “invalid” when putting it in forms.

Dave

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Jones via Groups.Io
Sent: 20 September 2019 12:21
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole group

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM, Dave Wade wrote:

...as far as I can tell it has around 10 million customers….

In the group I moderate (>2100 Subscribers) 182 have btinternet.com addresses and a further 8 have btconnect.com one.

Dave w also wrote: … I suspect you have as much chance of getting it fixed as you have of getting Schrodinger’s cat to the moon dead and alive….

I suspect that is certainly true if we have to go via the normal "call centre" route. :(  In this case Peter has gone via the "BT Community" from which the matter has (reportedly) been escalated.

The odd thing is that if a (btinternet) email is sent to a Groups.io "+" address from an email client then the + and what follows up to the @ is stripped off and the email is misrouted to the Topics page*. If, however, the same email is sent from BT Mail's web UI then it is routed correctly to whatever is after the +. I don't know if similar mishaps arise if the originating address is btconnect; I know of one Subscriber who has such an address so I might ask him if he could try a test message or two.

* If the Sub happens to be unmoderated then of course the message appears immediately.

Chris

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.