From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Jones via Groups.Io
Sent: 20 September 2019 09:48
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Messages to +owner being wrongly routed to the whole group

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 07:41 AM, Peter Martinez wrote:

So lets switch from a + to a dot.

I was involved in some of the original investigation into this phenomenon, but I genuinely believe that changing the format of Groups.io email addresses is not the way to go, at least for the moment.

While it would probably be easy for Mark to implement any such change, that change would impact on any / all Groups.io Subscribers who have or may have the current address format in their contacts lists, and I do not see that as acceptable unless it really cannot be avoided, and in my view it is far too early so say that such a change is unavoidable. Furthermore, such a change would (IMHO) be a violation of the Principle of Least Astonishment.

Having said that, although the problem is not one of Mark's creation he might be better placed than any one of us to tackle Synchronoss with the aim of getting that organisation to ensure that their traffic - handling is compliant with the agreed standard.

To continue the motoring analogy, driving around the pothole is all very well as a short - term fix, but does nothing to address the fact that the pothole shouldn't be there is the first place. Circumvent the pothole and before long there will be a second pothole to navigate, and then a third and so on. In other words an unaddressed problem is more likely to spread; it certainly won't repair itself.

What happens when the next service - provider non - compliance arises? Find another work - around?

Mark; if by any chance you are willing to tackle BT / Synchronoss about this incorrect handling of traffic please let us know and one of us can post the exact details of when this problem arises and when it does not, because the current understanding is that it affects end users who are customers of a single (UK) Mail Service Provider, but even then under a single set of circumstances, albeit a very common set.

As Peter has noted previously there is reason to believe (hope!) that some details are working their way through to that MSP (BT) but with no certainty of a satisfactory outcome.

Chris