moderated Re: Notifications overall: Messages

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 8:38 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I really like this idea.

I'm still having trouble, though, seeing this plan component in the context of the overall plan.Would, for example, the other Preference categories be Photos? Files? I don't have a picture of where does the Messages preference fits into the overall thing. In any case, I love this idea of getting pinged whenever there's a new message.

There will be notifications for all aspects of the site. So some additional notification preference categories will be Photos, Files, Wiki, Database, etc. This is very much like Facebook, where you can go into your notification settings page, and for each category, you can toggle 'Push', 'Email', 'SMS' as well as an overall toggle to turn on/off notifications for the entire category.

Actually, for any Facebook users, I'd appreciate it if you checked out their notification settings, at https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=notifications, to get an idea of how they do it.

The idea is to be able to be notified about any activity in any group you're a member of. Right now, you don't know when someone creates a new wiki page, unless they tell you, for example. You should have the option of being notified of that.

I am all for having a completely configurable notification system, but what I think is critical is to have a sane set of defaults, so that the majority of people never feel the need to go mucking about in it.