moderated Re: Notifications overall: Messages

Jeremy H

I like this idea - in the 'Notifications' area, just being able to say 'Notify me of this'. And I would be able to set it on a per group basis: there are some groups (that I am a member of) that I would wish to have notifications for, and others that I wouldn't.
And I agree notification settings shouldn't override other delivery settings (that's going to cause much confusion): perhaps at one level they should be alongside, almost one of, delivery options.

Jeremy

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 06:19 PM, JohnF wrote:
On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 10:03 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
'Web/app only' - you would no longer receive messages via email, regardless
of your subscription setting. You would only receive notifications of
messages posted.
You're going to get users who ask why they're not getting email, when their setting clearly says they want email. And what about special notices?

Settings shouldn't override each other. How about just a checkbox, "Send me a notification for new messages", and let the existing email setting specify if they want email or not? That will also make it easier in the future if you want to further refine the notifications (say you add a feature for users who don't want to be notified of new messages but do want to be notified of new topics, for example).

JohnF