moderated Re: maintain Word formatting when copy-pasting documents into messages

Maybe. But this doesn’t help my group members and doesn’t explain why it comes out fine in gmail. It’s invisible after the Word doc is created, edited, and otherwise futzed with until the member seems it acceptable for posting. Then, voila, all their hard work down the drain when they see how the post appears.

On Sep 1, 2019, at 7:43 PM, Ken Schweizer <kensch888@...> wrote:

Hi J,

It is a Microsoft Word idiosyncrasy. When you press Enter Microsoft Word thinks you want to create a new paragraph. It's the (IMO) stupid default behavior to then put a gap between the two lines and I haven't been able to find a way to go back to the old, normal, word.

If you want to simply put a single line between the two press SHIFT + ENTER rather than just Enter. There are several Macros that will do it automatically for you, but you should be proficient in VB to implement them.

As to the other formatting issues I "believe" it is an Internet thing. We had the same issues when trying to copy a Word outline to Yahoo groups. In order to get a pseudo indent, I had to replace the spaces with a "." (dot or period).  Maybe someone who is familiar with the way the Internet handles multiple spaces can answer your question better than I.

Ken

“You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ―Chuck Yeager

From: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:07 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: [beta] maintain Word formatting when copy-pasting documents into messages #request

i make this request not only because of my ill-fated limerick this morning, which I copy/pasted from a Word doc, and which appeared here with extra line spaces, but because the problem occurs frequently in my group as well: when someone copy/pastes a Word doc into a message, the formatting is often all screwed up, including, but not necessarily limited to, the addition of extra line (or paragraph) breaks. I don't know if anything can be done about this, but will remain hopeful.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.