moderated Re: Meta Suggestion: preferences

Yeah but we’re just a bunch of users expressing our preferences, ranging from most naive to most sophisticated points of view (I don’t lump myself in with either of those). All kinds of features are suggested here, ranging from clearly insanely useful to iffy (with, of course, Mark being the arbiter). We are not designing “the preference system” here. We’re asking for features ranging fro sorely needed to pie-in-the-sky to generally-bad-idea-for the product. I’m sure you agree with me in general that not every feature suggested in this forum should just be implemented willy nilly, no matter how objectively helpful or dead-weight, and just made an option. And Mark clearly understands that as well, hence he picks and chooses. Discussions here are just that: discussions. We’re not in a design meeting. 😀

On Aug 30, 2019, at 12:27 PM, Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer@...> wrote:

On 8/30/2019 11:50, J_Catlady wrote:
That’s great and I would generally agree. A lot of us here, like you, and including me, are (or were at some point) senior se’s and I’m sure you understand that it’s not always just “implement the feature, make it an option, and everybody’s happy.” You take the product as a whole into account. Any particular feature can possibly add or possibly detract from the product.

If that's true, then the preference system is not designed correctly. The whole point is that the product is a variable superset of user preferences, that setting a preference one way for one group does not affect the setting of the preference some other way by some other group. Thus "the product" is not affected as a whole other than to accommodate as many different styles as possible. If groups.io sets in stone some sort of preference, then it loses all of the groups who prefer the preference some other way. So insisting on some setting being some particular way does detract from the product by walling off a potential user base.

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.