moderated Re: New moderation setting proposal #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 07:04 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The “price” of putting a member on full mod whose common issues are with new topics is probably an order or magnitude greater than the “price” of putting a hijacker on full mod.
Not at all true.

Some people initiate a bad thread using a new subject line. Others initiate a thread (bad or good) by hijacking an existing one. In both cases, a new thread is started, and has gone out to the other subscribers. The damage, if any, is done. Right?

Now, the hijacked thread has the same subject line as one that you want to keep. Others reply to it, spreading the disease. No matter whether the thread is objectionable or not, you have to engage in a split-and-mergefest to tidy up the message archive.

Are you still following me?

Yes, I could just put the person on moderation altogether. That capability has been around for a long time. But somehow, that didn't make your "moderate the first post" idea a bad one, back in November. I don't see how it makes my "moderate the reply" idea a bad one here in August.

The idea will fly or it won't, but it strikes me as entirely symmetrical and complimentary to what we already have in place. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Thanks,
Bruce