moderated Re: Feature Request---Group Buys

Dale Hardin

My group owner asked for help in enabling the database function.  He could not figure out how to do it.  I can't help because I don't know what the admin. menu looks like.  I have searched for a list of steps online, but haven't been successful.  Is there, or could someone put together a list of steps to enable the database function?  Thanks, Dale

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM Dale Hardin via Groups.Io <joe.dale.hardin=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The database would work fine, but for the privacy issue.  If the database were enhanced to allow only the moderator, table creator, and row owner to be able to see a particular column, say an address column, then the database would work perfectly.  Dale

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 01:56 AM, Dale Hardin wrote:
Many of the amateur radio groups I belong too have someone offer to run a group buy or purchase parts for distribution to group members.  As a result, there are a lot of "I want one too"  and "put me on the list" messages.  It would be nice to be able to manage group buys with group members placing their name, and mail/contact info on a list maintained by a feature of group.io.  Regards, Dale

 Dale,

The Database feature can accommodate that type of list. The Groups.io Database is limited in functionality, so I would not consider it secure for large financial transactions. But for a friendly group of hams, it probably will suffice.

I hardly ever play with Databases, but it only took a few minutes to put together a sample "Group Buy" table. I included brief documentation in the description to give you an idea of how I did the set up. You can certainly add more columns for more information.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

--
Dale Hardin