moderated member notification option for chat activity

It would be super helpful to have a notification option when a person joins a chat. Right now, you have to keep logging in to the group to see whether or not there's a numeral next to "Chat" to indicate that there's been activity. An option to receive email notifications would prevent people from having to keep randomly checking. I think this is sorely lacking. I have even resorted to sending notifications by hand, by adding group messages to the effect that "everyone in such-and-such a chat, please log in to see the latest update." Which of course defeats part one of the purposes of a chat in not bothering the rest of the group members.