moderated Re: the fix to including sigs in text went too far ?

On 16 Aug 2019 at 18:29, J_Catlady wrote:

I agree! Hiding the quote makes total sense for quotes below a reply, because
those quotes are accidental, not meant to be read, and a PITA as they
accumulate. Intentional quotes at the top of the reply are an entirely different
situation and I see no reason to hide them (and force readers to click on a link
to see them) unless they consist of the entire prior message, complete with sig.
Perhaps there is simply no solution to that problem. Faced with the choice, I'd
restore things to how they were.
It seems to me that most participants in this discussion are making unjustified
assumptions about how other people reply to emails. Some people routinely top
post, leaving sometimes too much (as assumed by some here) but sometimes a
properly trimmed quote which they wish to be included under their reply. On the
other hand, on one quite busy mailing list I'm on (not a group) top posting is
frowned on but very often a complete topic of many messages is left at the top
of the reply. My feeling is that control of this sort of thing should be left
to group admins, with no attempt by the system to enforce any particular
approach.

Jim Fisher