moderated Re: +Owner Email a Preference or a Permission?

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 08:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think it’s too bad that these are called +Owner messages (on either side of the coin) rather than something like +Admin messages, when sometimes mods who may not be owners can send and/or receive them. Perhaps this is a holdover from yahoo, having an owner email address. I would make a radical change and make it +Admin. I think this would eliminate a lot of confusion, no matter what is decided re permissions and delivery preferences.

My interpretation is that the +Owner feature was implemented as a preference with the purpose of implementing an "Admin" group where prospective or subscribed members could make inquiries to the group. Apparently, some users are trying to use this feature as being a "private" owner email address. I also agree that the wording on the group home page certainly adds to this confusion:. "Group Owner: ...+owner@...groups.io"

To me, suggesting that this feature be changed to a permission is not the way to go. For the purpose it appears to be implemented as now, I would suggest that that name could be changed to "+Admin" or "+Inquiries" or something like to help clear up misunderstandings.

If a private "Owner" group email address is really considered necessary, a new "OwnerOnly" address could be implemented. That address needn't (shouldn't) be a published feature at all, it could just be an address that only the Owner could send from with replies only going to that address. Of course, that still leaves the issue of what to do with multiple owners... 🙄 Perhaps they could be run-time generated addresses?

--
Gerald (FSO)