locked Re: about messages from non-members

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

is this a feature I can turn off the moment its implemented, because I don't want people who are not members to send any emails to my group.
If they want to be a member, they should join the proper way.

Cherrill
I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.

On Nov 3, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Cherrill,

If I add this feature, it will be something you can turn on or off. Here's how it would work (if turned on for your group):

A non-member sends a message to your group
It looks like a pending message to you, ie. you'll get a notification that you need to approve or reject it
If you approve it, the person is given an 'instant subscription' to your group and is set to receive only replies to their message
You will be able to see these instant subscriptions in your member list, and can unsubscribe or ban these people

A couple of things I haven't figured out yet:

There will be some mechanism to convert these instant subscriptions to normal subscriptions, which may very depending on whether the group is restricted or not (ie. requires approval before joining the group)
Does the user have to confirm their subscription or not?

Make sense? Please let me know what you think.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Cherrill <cdjamieson@...> wrote:
I have a question about this because I am not sure I understand.

I own a group here so does this mean that someone who isn't a member of my group can send an email to my group via instant subscription.

On Nov 3, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

> And what should we call these? Temporary subscriptions?

Perhaps "instant subscriptions". It has a more positive connotation, and doesn't imply a time limit where there is none (they're limited to a thread, which may continue indefinitely). Or "reply-only subscriptions", which is descriptive (but a bit of a mouthful).

I like instant subscriptions.

Here's a possible hitch I've come up with. If you are not a Groups.io user at all, and send a message to a group and are instantly subscribed, you've effectively bypassed the email confirmation step and could receive email from the group without being opted-in. Do I have a confirmation step in there somewhere? Am I worrying too much about this?