moderated Proposal: custom role labels

Hi all,

One of my groups uses a system where one or more users are given special privileges for performing specific tasks. Because these tasks are close to moderator role in privileges, members are flagged as moderators. This leads to a possible confusion where people assume the member is a moderator when in fact they are not.

Thus I would like to propose allowing groups to specify a limited number of custom role types. A custom role type is initially based on an existing role (for instance, a moderator) with specific permissions applied. For example, a role of “database manager”, based on “moderator” role, can be given specific permissions on databases only, and an “archivist” can be given specific permissions on archive management without being flagged as a moderator.

Given that custom role types might be abused by those who may not know what’s going on, I propose placing certain limits. One possible limit might be that custom role types can only be managed by list owners. Another approach is using similar principles as integration limits – owners of free groups can set a limited number of custom role types, with enterprise groups having unlimited custom role types.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph