moderated Thread merge issue

I have some members who create a new topic for every thought that enters their heads. They are kept on permanent moderation, and thanks to the lovely Moderate First Message option Mark created at my request, I can intercept them and place their posts in their existing threads.

Previously, as long as I changed the subject line to match their previously running subject line (which in most cases is only a day or hours old), the new post would merge. Now, it starts a new thread even if I change the subject line to match. Not sure if this is deliberate or a glitch, but I'd like it to go back to how it was if possible please.

Thank you.

Helen