moderated Re: Pending subscription message now including location/other info

Helen,

I find this grossly intrusive. ... For certain groups (e.g. certain
heath issues), this could even put people off joining.
I see your point, much as I appreciate having that info in other types of groups.

Any way to turn this intrusive monitoring off please?
I can think of two ways of handling it: a group level control or an individual opt-in/out during the join/apply flow.

If it must be on, it should be made clear to applicants that this
information is being sent to group mods.
As a group level control (which is what I think you are seeking) its status should at the very least be included in the home-page list of Group Settings. Whether that is prominent enough or not I'm not certain.

I think a group like your example would use some language in its group Description to reinforce the reassurance that the option is off. For groups that have the option on, I don't expect them to use their Description for scary warnings. Nor am I really enthusiastic about having a scary disclaimer around the Join/Apply button on their home pages.

However, as things stand, once they've clicked that button the information has been delivered to the mods. So as much as I detest it, the best option might be to have an intervening page (or pop-up) when a user clicks that button.

As an individual control, such a notification page (or pop-up) could include Yes and No buttons to make an individual opt-in or opt-out of sending this info to the mods.

Shal

On 2019-06-22 8:25 AM, Helen wrote:
I find this grossly intrusive. I can see where people are to the nearest small town, which may be helpful for local associations, but which for my international groups is frankly irrelevant. And their OS is their business, not mine. For certain groups (e.g. certain heath issues), this could even put people off joining.
I vet people via the requirement to respond to a questionnaire, which works just fine. Any way to turn this intrusive monitoring off please?
If it must be on, it should be made clear to applicants that this information is being sent to group mods.
Helen