moderated Re: Controlling rw permissions (files section)

jslcanuck

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM, Duane wrote:

It seems like it basically works that way now, as long as you give permission
for members to upload (and not just moderators/owners).  It's similar to
Photos in that only the 'owner' of the file or a moderator can change it.
Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking that the only problem is that I'm seeing a
problem where there's no problem. See, now that I'm a mod I've forgotten what
it's like to be a mere mortal and I'm assuming that the users have the ability to
modify files I've uploaded. What you're telling me is that they don't. So this
actually leads us to a different question.

All us grownups know of the evils of (logging in and) working as root, or of su'ing
and just going about one's daily business, so the good admins drill into us that we
should sudo instead, for an assortment of good reasons. Makes me wonder now
whether there should be a mod-do, or a way of operating as a normal user and only
stepping up to mod privileges when needed. Being shifted permanently from an
ordinary user to a mod is kind of inflexible. What if I want to return to normal
privileges to test stuff - is the only way to create a separate account?