moderated Re: Paid vs free policy- request

jonathon,

In light of Mark's message dated 20190521 14:33:45 -0700, Message ID
<CAEO096pBb3J5VbwNRsxR4ux4QTH5N=7jSueAN-aOojA4kcLe_g@mail.gmail.com>
can you elaborate on how that would work?
Luckily Thunderbird lets me search on Message ID, or I'd have been lost.

Actually, I'm sort of lost anyway - that message doesn't seem to bear on my assertion about my PTA group.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/21214

I somewhat hesitate to tread here for fear of creating a self-fulfilling prophesy, but the California PTA bylaws state:

" *** ARTICLE III — Basic Policies and Principles

The following are basic policies and principles of California State
PTA, in common with those of National PTA:

a. The organization shall be noncommercial, nonsectarian, and
nonpartisan;
h. The organization or members in their official capacities shall not
— directly or indirectly — participate or intervene (in any way,
including the publishing or distributing of statements) in any
political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate
for public office;
..."
http://toolkit.capta.org/know-the-pta/bylaws-of-the-california-state-pta/

If a member of our PTA unit came to the executive board and alleged that our unit was providing member funds (indirectly) to a partisan organization, by way of our occasional upgrade to a Premium Groups.io group, then the board might have no real option other than to tell me to stop using this service. Otherwise the unit membership might get embroiled in a debate over the issue, and that's the kind of debate an all-volunteer organization just does not need.

I'll grant that the scenario seems a bit on the far-fetched side. But consider a thought-experiment. Imagine (if you can) that instead of Indivisible, the Groups.io pricing page named an organization with a different political agenda, a group that promotes the re-election of President Trump as vigorously as Individual promotes his defeat. Would you then bet against such an objection being raised?

If you can't give the same answer to this issue in either case, then you're looking at the issue through partisan glasses, rather than principled ones.

Shal