moderated Re: Paid vs free policy- request

Maria

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 12:13 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
And the purpose of discussion here is to improve on it debate the merits (or demerits) of a request. That’s not what the reply was — it was a knee jerk, “I’m just against this.”  Shal’s and others’ recent thoughtful discussions are what is enlightening. The knee jerk popularity poll “me too, three, four, sixteen, I’ve lost count” is what’s detrimental to the process.
Ken,

Agree that discussion here should focus on the merits ( or demerits) of a feature - or policy - and suggestions regarding these.
That said - and I usually try to keep my contributions focused on debating the issues not the individual - if you don't like the knee jerk reactions - please re-read your initial original post.

The tone of it, your choice of words, your CAPS, exclamation points, your bolds, underlining  - it reads remarkably rude and forceful.
Your insinuations of a "hidden political agenda", referring to "conditions" where there are none. Use of the word "suckering" just because Groups.io openly and transparently decided to comp upgrades to one grassroots org back in 2017.

If you want to ignite healthy respectful and thoughtful reflection on policies and not incite knee jerk reactions - you might want to try a different approach when you suggest (or "request" as you wrote) what grassroots orgs, causes etc., a business owner decides to comp on an upgrade.

Also a more accurate subject line would have been: Reviewing Policy Re: Free Upgrades to Premium Service.
Your subject line is inaccurate. Groups.io is free for all. It's up to groups to decide if they need the premium services.

And it's up to Groups.io to decide which organizations - if any - they elect to subsidize.
Just like Apple gives discounts to certain entities and categories of people (students/veterans) and not others.
Just like Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Twitter, Microsoft, Whole Foods and countless others dedicate a whole arm of their business to supporting causes.

If anything good comes of this topic - again, I hope it's that it carves out time for Groups.io to broaden the reach of how they want to help NGO's, charities, and causes.
This is a MUCH ( sorry caps) better platform for any organization trying to do good than facebook will ever be.

Maria