Re: Members Removed for Marking Messages as spam AUTO-Message suggested modification

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 03:57 PM, Sharon Villines wrote:
Older people have a huge problem understanding all the routing and who does what in email. I still can’t get direct answers when I ask “Do you read on the web or do you download messages to an email program.” I have to ask "what browser do you use” and that totally confuses the Outlook users. Then the confusion about yahoo the email account, yahoo the website, etc. Google is a nightmare.

As people die, this problem will go away
Sharon, what follows is not, in any way, intended as an argument with what you've said but really reinforcing its core points while tossing out a few of the "around the edges" assertions.

I am in my mid-50s, and had my degree in computer science granted in 1984.  I have been involved in IT in some capacity ever since, sometimes more so than others, but it's been continuous in one way or another.

It's not just older people who have the problem understanding the "under the hood" aspects of computing in general and e-mail in particular.   There is an age demographic, of which I am a part, that came of "computer age" when the end of punch cards was drawing nigh and the birth of the PC was just beginning.  Nothing was really "automatic" at that point and if you intended to use computers you had to have at least a decent knowledge of how to be a "software mechanic" at the very least.

I've always understood why those 60 (at the very lowest end, probably) and up have no real knowledge of any "under the hood" aspects of computers because they came to them, if they came to them, after things had become very automated (say, the Windows 7 era and on), and so didn't need to.  They also tend to have a fear factor related to computers of the "if I do {insert virtually anything here} will I break it!} type.

Now we have the demographic significantly younger, I'd say under 40 for the most part, that came of age when their entry point was after everything was automatic.  They tend to be end users extraordinaire, but they often have little knowledge of the correct terminology for anything (e-mail client?  What's an e-mail client? though they tend to get webmail as a concept but cannot fathom that Gmail on their Android phone is not webmail, but an e-mail client or something very similar anyway).   If anything goes wrong they're like most people are with their cars, on the phone to someone to get it fixed without ever thinking about what goes into fixing it.

I don't think that these issues are going to go away due to "die off," at least not the core issues of not knowing, not understanding, and not caring to do either and getting frustrated when those attempting to assist require way more precise information than, "It's not working!!," in order to do so.   I get the generic, "It's not working!!," from both my elderly clients and college students.   I seldom do from those above 40 and under 60 at this point in time, and of course both of those end points are constantly shifting up and "the dinosaurs among us" who get this stuff will soon enough be dying off.   I wonder just how much of a very small "dark art" working in nuts and bolts hardware and software manipulation and repair, the "under the hood" knowledge and ability to apply it, is going to become?

              ~ Brian Vogel