moderated Re: User-friendly message rejection after attempt to post to a locked thread #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

On 4/25/2019 09:16, Brian Vogel wrote:
Locking topics is a basic function under any forum/e-mail system that I have used over the course of decades.  It needs to work.

No one is proposing "security by obscurity."   The fact, and it is a fact, is that spammers look for ease of putting a message out scattershot.  They do not target, and they certainly do not target in the way discussed here.  One takes precautionary measures based upon a realistic risk assessment.  It is a waste of time and effort to try to prevent the highly improbable.  If the highly improbable becomes easy or starts being used, then one takes remedial measures.  'Twas ever thus when keeping up with what spammers will try next.

The idea of a spammer employing backscatter is, to put it mildly, highly improbable.   I don't worry about being hit by a meteorite when sitting in my living room (though it's conceivably possible) just as I don't worry about the issue of backscatter and spammers.   If it were an easy and worthwhile effort to achieve their ends it would have been in use long before now, as the capability has existed long before now.

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more.

In the computer security field, we often say that one doesn't need Fort Knox to safeguard a broken bicycle, which is a metaphorical way of saying exactly what Brian says above.

Best,

Glenn
M.S. '07 UCLA Security and Cryptography

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.