moderated Re: User-friendly message rejection after attempt to post to a locked thread #suggestion

Marv Waschke

Forgive me if I am missing something, but groups that want to avoid ugly bounce messages could put topics under moderation instead of locking the topics. Wouldn't that be an effective workaround that lets the individual group decide? I can't recall that I've ever locked or placed a topic under moderation so I don't have experience.

In other realms, I've seen "security by obscurity" (don't worry, those dopey criminals will never bother to figure it out) fail miserably, so I am inclined to close security gaps even when a breach appears improbable at the moment. If you accept the obscurity argument regularly, you end up with a porous system.
Best, Marv