moderated Re: email address from sender

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:43 PM, Samuel Murray wrote:
Actually I was referring to a feature found on some other forums whereby
you can send a private message to someone without knowing their e-mail
address.
And now I understand the distinction that you're trying to make.   That capability exists on Bleeping Computer and several other forums I haunt.  The big difference is that the entire communication (other than, perhaps, an e-mail notification that you have a private message) occurs strictly within the boundaries of that forum's PM component.

Groups.io does not, to my knowledge, have anything like that sort of PM mechanism.   I have to believe that this is at least in part because it is a hybrid between an e-mail list service and an online forum.

What follows is a general editorial comment that harks back to the beginning of this topic.   People need to be disabused of the notion that their e-mail addresses are in any way truly private.  Once you've been using an e-mail address for even a matter of days, I can guarantee you that if you check your spam folder you are already getting spam.  Once an e-mail address has been used to send e-mail, it is effectively not private.  And people who want to get it will end up getting it.  I have, though, been blessed by never having been on any e-mailing list where "off-list stalking/harrassment" occurred.   Even if I were, my advice would be to block the sender and, if the situation were to be serious enough, involve the authorities.   List owners and moderators cannot be held responsible for the actions of their individual members in real life.

              ~ Brian Vogel