moderated Re: separate (optional!) tab for sticky messages #suggestion

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/13 10:26 PM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:

One weakness of the sticky topic system is that it only "works" for those members who use the web UI all the time or at least fairly often...
Even web users may not actually "see" them. :-)

If a certain piece of text always appears on a certain part of a page that I visit often, then, by the third or fourth visit, I no longer even notice it. Particularly if this text tries to be part of other text that I'm trying to read.

Adding a little "sticky" icon to a sticky post is IMO insufficient visual cue. Having them on a separate tab, or in a separate box, or not showing their content (only the subject line) would all help to highlight sticky posts.

(In addition to making space, of course.)

One weakness of the sticky topic system is that it only "works" for those members who use the web UI all the time or at least fairly often; those who rely on email posting or reading never see them.
As for e-mail users not seeing sticky posts, one idea might be to have the option to send a monthly reminder to all users about the sticky posts. This can be a separate reminder specifically about sticky posts, or it can form part of a "summary" post that contains other news and reminders about the group as well (e.g. how many new members joined, how many posts there were, how many new photos etc).

Odds are some e-mail users won't read that mail either, but at least then you draw e-mail users' attention to what has been going on on the group that they may not be aware of.

Samuel