moderated Re: email addresses for suggesting features offlist from beta #suggestion

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 4/3/2019 06:57 PM UTC:

The user owns their idea until they give it to Mark, per the TOU, as I've said several times.

As long as we're talking about the TOS, let's look at the actual wording.

When it comes to ownership of posted content as expressed in the TOS, "you own all right, title and interest in and to your User Content..." That means no one else can claim your posted content - your intellectual property - as their own. It says nothing that prevents discussion of your ideas, including modification of them.

As far as the user owning their ideas until "they give it to Mark," I'd say that all "comments, suggestions, ideas,feedback " are given to Mark (Groups.io) the instant they're posted. I say that because the TOS says, "You acknowledge and agree that any QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK OR OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE SERVICE (“SUBMISSIONS”), [ emphasis mine] provided by you to Groups.io are non-confidential and Groups.io will be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of these Submissions for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you."

And the point is that they may decide not to provide it at all to groups.io if they have to do it in this venue.

That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. In the case of some ideas it's probably the very best decision that could be made.

Jim H