moderated Re: email addresses for suggesting features offlist from beta #suggestion

The user owns their idea until they give it to Mark, per the TOU, as I’ve said several times. And the point is that they may decide not to provide it at all to groups.io if they have to do it in this venue.

On Apr 3, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Samuel Murray <samuelmurray@yandex.com> wrote:

On 2019/04/03 07:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:15 AM, Jim Higgins wrote:
Perhaps... but who is to say that others can't discuss it?
The suggestion belongs to the user.
What an odd thing to say.

The proposer does not "own" his suggestion, even though he may have
spent a lot of time crafting it carefully.

Remember, even if he makes his suggestion privately to the developers,
the developers are likely to discuss it and make it public if they are
to consider it, so any privacy afforded by an anonymous suggestion
feature is very temporary.

I'm tired, very very tired, of this. I wish that I had made this suggestion via a suggestion box.
What you should have done, is make the suggestion, and then not read the
thread for a day or two to allow things to simmer, and then optionally
return to it to clarify one or two things.

Presumably the developers evaluate suggestions not based on how much
support it got from the group or how few objections were raised against
it, but on its own merit.

You don't have to "defend" your suggestion. But if you do, then you
open yourself to discussion.

Samuel