moderated Re: email addresses for suggesting features offlist from beta #suggestion

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/04/03 02:08 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

It’s gotten to the point where I preemptively try to prevent the constant backlash and even when I go that, often 99% of the open discussion involves basic explanations to people of what already exists.
Yes, that is a characteristic of mailing lists such as these -- new people are constantly joining the learning curve. If this bothers you, then you should change you way you read messages and/or change the way you reply to messages.

The developers will have learnt how to sift through the messages in a way that is useful to them, or else they would have chosen a different system long ago.

It is exhausting.
It is only exhausting if you try to read every mail or try to respond to every question that you know the answer to.

Or... it may be exhausting if you're not using an appropriate viewer.

I see you're often using the Groups.io web interface to post messages, and sometimes also Google Mail. Neither of these methods offer a split layout with a list of messages in one pane and the message content in another pane, with the option to jump from message to message with a single click, and skip over any message without even clicking.

Instead, in both Gmail and the Groups.io web interface, all messages are presented as a single page in the order that they arrived, with a single scroll bar, no option to jump to another message quickly, no way to ignore a message by not displaying it, and no way to group messages that belong to subconversations intelligently. Also, with such a one-page approach, the starts of messages are never in the same place on the screen, which means your eyes have to "search" every time you want to move to the next message.

It would drive me NUTS if I had to read mailing list mails in Gmail, or on the Groups.io web interface. It would be... erm... exhausting.

My 2c

Samuel