moderated Re: Maintain Defaults Whenever Practical #suggestion

Maria

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:10 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Perhaps it did look a bit "functional", but that's what I want it to look like; devoid of distractions and frills.

Function over Form, not the other way round.
And you still have that page - intact. Exactly as it was. Just one click away.

The function of the feed is to provide a feed of recent activity, the form it's presented in does that. I don't see distractions or frills in the feed.
It's quite minimalist actually. Shows us: active topics/new - upcoming events/ new files/ new photos/new subgroups/new chats/ and only shows them if they actually have new content.

The function of the YOUR GROUPS page is predominantly administrative, and the form it's in feels that way.  Which is great for the purpose of that page.

Both pages are necessary. Both pages are provided.

Maybe we simply need the Your Groups button no matter where we are on the site - we used to use the LOGO.

Like many architects, designers, artists, dancers, I don't share the idea of function over form. The two should align. It's not one or the other.

Beauty is the harmony of function and form -  Alvar Aalto
Function influence but does not dictate form - Eero Saarinen
Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union.- Frank Lloyd Wright
Form and function are a unity, two sides of one coin. In order to enhance function, appropriate form must exist or be created - Ida Rolf
Form Ever Follows Function - Louis Henry Sullivan

Maria