moderated Re: Suggested Feature - Provide email "call" for a message by specifying the message number

Discretion is always required and  I am as familiar (if not more) with feature bloat as anyone here. But unless any given feature seriously detracts from general user experience (and I’ll grant that a few non-optional features that have been requested here in the past fall into that category), then what constitutes feature bloat in terms of implementation maintenance is entirely up to Mark to determine. It does not make sense IMHO for people in beta to fight tooth and nail against a feature that neither they nor their group members never even have to be consciously aware of.

On Mar 25, 2019, at 9:46 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
One more comment on the notion that's frequently propagated here to the effect that "there's already a way to do this, we don't need another one." I think if you call the alternate way a "short cut," in general it might get more respect.
Honestly, and I'm not arguing with regard to this request, but in general - this is often what becomes "feature bloat."   There are minuses, sometimes severe, to having to maintain N ways of doing things when, say, 2 are routinely used by the majority of users.  The possibility of the introduction of bugs, possible points of failure really shouldn't be ignored.

If an existing way is very easy, there's even less need for another one.

I'm not saying that any and every feature request be denied, either.  But given the water that's passed under the beta bridge, there have been plenty that deserve to have floated downstream without ever having been plucked out.  Discretion is required, particularly with regard to what falls more into the "need" rather than "want" categories.