moderated Re: Suggested Feature - Provide email "call" for a message by specifying the message number

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
One more comment on the notion that's frequently propagated here to the effect that "there's already a way to do this, we don't need another one." I think if you call the alternate way a "short cut," in general it might get more respect.
Honestly, and I'm not arguing with regard to this request, but in general - this is often what becomes "feature bloat."   There are minuses, sometimes severe, to having to maintain N ways of doing things when, say, 2 are routinely used by the majority of users.  The possibility of the introduction of bugs, possible points of failure really shouldn't be ignored.

If an existing way is very easy, there's even less need for another one.

I'm not saying that any and every feature request be denied, either.  But given the water that's passed under the beta bridge, there have been plenty that deserve to have floated downstream without ever having been plucked out.  Discretion is required, particularly with regard to what falls more into the "need" rather than "want" categories.