moderated Re: Suggested updates to message footer

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/02/27 05:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
All I had to do to include the selective quote from your message
was to highlight the bit I wanted to focus on and then click on
"Reply". The highlighted passage was /automatically/ imported into
the reply for me. It could hardly be easier.
And this has been "standard operating procedure" on a wide variety of
web forum interfaces for a very long time now.
Which just goes to show that we all move in some very different circles. I have never encountered the behaviour you/Chris mention (although it might exist without me knowing about it), and it would never have occurred to me to even try it.

(It does work that way in my e-mail program, although I guess I've never gotten into the habit of using it because it means you have to decide what text you want to quote BEFORE you click "Reply", heh-heh.)

What I have seen on may web forums is that there is both a "Reply" and a
"Quote" button (but yes: the "Quote" button quotes everything).

Your only choice with the quoting mechanism is to quote the whole
message and then take out what you don't want/need in the reply
composition window.
I've been doing this for years. (-:

Samuel